Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Narutarded: The Plague

Yes, everyone has watched Naruto at least once, right?

The driving curiosity is enough to bring down even the strongest minds of otaku. Hiding behind a misleading facade of fulfillment, only poison awaits you at the end of this journey. The temptation to subject oneself to cancerous disease has not been this difficult to resist since tobacco first hit the market! Yes, Naruto is indeed an epidemic, one set forth by ANGRY GODS, TO PLAGUE THE MANY NATIONS AS DIVINE PUNISHMENT FOR DENYING THE QUALITY WAY OF LIFE OFFERED TO MANKIND!!

Erm, well, anyway ... despite it being the epitome of terribleness, it has a pretty interesting underlying plot. When you think about it, there aren't really many stereotypes in Naruto, it was just so poorly executed ... all that potential too. On more than one occasion, I've thought about how epic of a movie it would have made. Cut out the five hundred episodes it took to tell the story (in the most painstakingly slow, repetitive and overall uneventful way possible,) then compress it into an hour and a half to two hours and you've got yourself something I might consider watching.

The main gripes I have with the actual storyline, (not necessarily how it was told,) are about the lack of resolution and the fact that the main character is shifting to Sasuke. I want Naruto: Shippuuden to end, now. I want it to show Sasuke resolving his conflict with Itachi, I want it to show at least a glimpse of their adult-hood and most of all: Naruto needs to be crowned as Hokage to wrap up the whole thing. So, this pool of thought has made me want to see one movie of Naruto's whole life, making everything relevant to the Ninetails and what-not, from intro to epic to resolution. Better artwork wouldn't hurt things either. These people are among the laziest animators when it comes to symmetry and consistency. Dx

So yeah, that's all I wanted to say about that. I wonder how many people will agree? Maybe I'll make another post including which specific episodes to bother watching so one can get the best effect out of the series- for the newer victims of this ravenous plague.

2 comments:

  1. Even though I've been an anime fan for at least the past 15 years and have watched 100's of titles I've managed to avoid the Naruto plauge. Though given the sheer amount of information people are constantly spewing about it whenever you do anythin anime related, I might as well have watched the whole thing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh heh, yeah, perfect example of overrated. Also the perfect example of the worst dubbing job ever, believe it!

    Although I still think it's a shame that it's a series and not one or two movies. I'd even be happy with a drastically shorter series, but, eh.

    ReplyDelete